Recover Windows Systems Quickly, and Keep Your Business Running
What is StorageCraft ShadowProtect Small Business Server, and who should use it?
StorageCraft® ShadowProtect® Small Business Server is backup and disaster recovery software for users of Microsoft Windows Server Essentials and Foundation and of Windows Small Business Server. ShadowProtect Small Business Server software provides small and mid-size businesses with enterprise-level backup and disaster recovery, data protection, and managed system migration. Whether you own a small or medium-size business or offer IT services to such owners, your ShadowProtect software enables you to get servers back online fast and avoid business disruption.
ShadowProtect Small Business Server is one part of the StorageCraft Recover-Ability™ solution. This solution provides your business with the products and services necessary to recover your Windows IT environment anytime and anywhere, and from a disaster of any size.
ShadowProtect Small Business Server software creates sector-level backup images of your server disk drives. A sector-level backup image is a point-in-time representation of your disk drive and therefore includes the operating system, applications, services, configuration settings, and data. Because your backup image contains everything on your server, when you need to recover its drive, you can do so in minutes rather than hours or days.
ShadowProtect Small Business Server helps you meet your recovery objectives
As you well know, your servers are crucial to your firm’s everyday operations. Should a server die, how would that affect your business? How much money could you lose in income and productivity per hour that a server isn’t functioning?
Your recovery time objective (RTO) is a calculation of how quickly business processes need to be restored and resumed after a disaster—your maximum allowable downtime after which the consequences become unacceptable. Reduce the gap between your RTO and your recovery time actual (RTA, the time it actually takes the IT team to get servers functioning), and that’s money in your company’s pocket.
ShadowProtect software features flexible recovery options that help you meet (or beat) your RTO by reducing the time your systems and data are offline. ShadowProtect allows you to:
- Rapidly access individual data files and folders
- Restore to the same or different hardware or a virtual environment in a matter of minutes
- Boot a backup image as a virtual machine (VM) for a quick, temporary fix
ShadowProtect Small Business Server can also help you with your recovery point objective (RPO, the maximum amount of data over time that could be lost). How much data can you afford to lose (or afford to re-enter)? A couple days’ worth of data? A few hours’ worth? Even less?
You can schedule ShadowProtect Small Business Server to continually take incremental backup images (these images record just the changes to the disk since the last backup image). You can schedule incremental backup images to happen as often as every 15 minutes, so that your business is never at risk of losing more than a few minutes of data.
Safeguard your Windows IT environment
Common scenarios for which administrators, technicians, and other IT pros use ShadowProtect Small Business Server:
- Recovering data such as files and folders
- Performing bare metal recovery after a server failure
- Restoring to the same hardware after a system error causes a server crash
- Migrating to new hardware or virtual environment
- Testing new applications prior to introducing them into your production server environment
- Testing your business’s disaster recovery plan
Read our ShadowProtect Scenario Guide for detailed, proven examples of when to use ShadowProtect Small Business Server.
Features and benefits of ShadowProtect Small Business Server
The Backup Wizard enables you to:
- Capture everything—systems, applications, configuration settings, services, data—on your servers
- Back up Microsoft SQL and SharePoint servers and other critical application servers, including updates in memory
- Encrypt a backup job to protect backup images to securely protect data
- Save backups to any disk device (such as removable, local, and network drives) or any optical media (CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Ray discs)
- Back up a non-bootable system before attempting a restore operation (using StorageCraft Recovery Environment)
The Backup Wizard also lets you:
- Execute a one-time full backup that you can archive
- Schedule backups to occur automatically
- Schedule incremental backups to run as often as every 15 minutes
- Set up subsequent full backups to be differential to save on storage space
- Manage the retention of backup images
Management view and client/agent options enable you to:
- Install the ShadowProtect agent on a server or desktop without having to visit the machine
- Remotely manage both ShadowProtect Server and ShadowProtect Desktop nodes
- Choose to receive notification when server or desktop backup jobs succeed or fail
With the Verify Image tool, StorageCraft ImageReady™ technology, and StorageCraft VirtualBoot™ technology, you can:
- Verify backup images to ensure they’re in a known good state for fast and reliable recovery
- Automatically run Chkdsk or other scripts on mounted volumes to determine data and application integrity
- Mount a database (including systems, data, and log volumes) to test file and transaction integrity and verify they're intact or run cleanup if they're in a dirty shutdown state
- Boot a backup image to a virtual machine to test whether a restored system would function properly
With the Image Conversion Tool, you can:
- Consolidate files (full backup plus incrementals) into a single new backup image for archiving
- Split a backup image file into smaller files (a spanned set) for backup on DVD or Blu-Ray
- Convert backup image files to a virtual disk in either .VHD (Hyper-V-compatible) or .VMDK (VMWare-compatible) format for restoration or migration to a VM
- Set a consolidated or converted backup file’s compression setting or encryption
The Restore Wizard, Explore Backup Wizard, StorageCraft VirtualBoot technology, and StorageCraft Hardware Independent Restore™ technology let you:
- Perform a bare metal restore in minutes
- Restore a system to the same or different hardware or to virtual environments
- Mount a backup image quickly and browse it in order to recover a file or folder
- Restore an entire data volume from a backup image file
- Quickly restore access to a database server by mounting a point-in-time backup image
- Rapidly boot a backup image as a virtual machine (temporary system failover)
The Backup Wizard, Restore Wizard, Image Conversion Tool, and Hardware Independent Restore allows you to:
- Migrate a backup image from one physical machine to another
- Migrate a backup image of a physical server to a virtual environment
Want to learn more or get ahold of a printable document?
See our support documentation, listed below, for more information:
- Data Sheet - an overview complete with features and benefits
- Scenario Guide - proven examples of when to use this product
- Product Brief - a look at IT challenges and how this product helps you solve them
- Quick Start Guide - steps for activating your ShadowProtect
- User Guide - the user manual—step-by-step instructions
- Readme - a supplement to the user guide—system requirements, enhancements, issues
- StorageCraft Recovery Environment - information about a crucial component of ShadowProtect
StorageCraft licenses ShadowProtect on a per-system basis—that is to say, if you plan to use ShadowProtect to back up three servers, you need three ShadowProtect Small Business Server or ShadowProtect Server licenses.
(Visit our ShadowProtect overview page if you'd like to compare operating system support by license.)
If you are a managed service provider, StorageCraft offers a subscription-based option. Visit the User Guide: ShadowProtect for managed service providers page for more information.
End User License Agreement - detailed information about our license
Requirements and supported environments
For a list of supported operating systems, see matrix below.