- StorageCraft ShadowProtect
- StorageCraft Cloud Services
- StorageCraft ImageManager
- StorageCraft ShadowControl CMD
- StorageCraft Granular Recovery for Exchange
- StorageCraft Recovery Environment
- Company Info
Restoring a Volume
ShadowProtect provides two ways to restore a backup image file depending on which type of volume it is:
Restore using which ShadowProtect version
|System (boot) Volume||ShadowProtect in Windows||Use the Restore Wizard in ShadowProtect to recover a data (non-system/files-only) volume. Note: This method does not require you to reboot the system.|
|Data Volume||Restore in the ShadowProtect Recovery Environment||Use the Recovery Environment to restore a system volume.|
|Warning: Restoring a backup image to an existing volume overwrites all data currently on that volume.|
To restore a data volume
- Open the Restore Wizard by doing one of the following:
- In the Wizards tab, click Restore.
- In the Tasks menu, click Restore.
- In the Menu bar, select Tasks > Restore.
- On the Backup Image to Restore page, select the Image Set to restore, then click Next.
In the drop-down menu, select the destination (see Destinations) that contains the backup image set, or click Browse to locate the desired backup image set. The Specify Image Names field displays the backup image sets available at the selected destination or path.
Note: You must have the proper network credentials to access an image set stored on a network share.
- If the Specify Image Names field does not list all the expected points-in-time, right-click on the list to display the option to refresh contents:
- Click Refresh contents to update the list of restore points.
- Select which image set contains the point-in-time you wish to restore, then click Next.
- On the Backup Image Dependencies page, ShadowProtect provides a list of times and dates of all the backups it has taken of the selected disk. Choose which point-in-time to restore, then click Next.
Note: This page also displays specific properties of the selected backup image file. These are informational only and are relevant when resolving restore issues with StorageCraft Support. These properties include:
Image File Properties Shows the volume size and used space, creation time, backup type (none, daily, weekly, monthly), compression type, password protected (yes/no), and any comments. Original Partition Information Style (MBR, GPT), number, type (FAT, NTFS), bootable option, offsets and length. Disk Information Disk geometry, disk size, number of the first track sectors and if it is a dynamic disk. You can also view the disk layout graphically at the bottom of the screen. Note: This represents what the disk looked like at the time of backup. Originating machine OS version, the machine name, MAC address, the ShadowProtect engine version used to create the image file and drive letter of the mounted volume.
- On the Restore Destination page, select the partition where you want to restore the backup image, then click Next.
Note: The selected partition must have sufficient space for the selected restore. For example, you cannot restore a 40GB backup file to a disk or partition with only 10GB of free space.
- The Wizard displays the Specify the Restoration Options page. These options only apply to restoring System (boot) volumes (which is done using the Recovery Environment).. Click Next.
- On the Wizard Summary page, review the details of the volume restore operation, then click Finish.
You can view the progress of the restore volume operation in the Backup Jobs tab.
|Note: StorageCraft strongly recommends creating a new backup job for the restored volume. While an existing ShadowProtect backup job may continue creating new incrementals, issues arise from changes in hardware, volume size, or operating system. To ensure reliable backups, create a new job on the restored volume.|