Windows Application Log, event ID 1121

Hi,

I am seeing this erro on a lot of my servers. 

Backup status: failed

Image file: \\IMAGING_SERVER\SP Images\SOURCESERVER\Weekly\SOURCESERVER_WEEKLY_C_VOL

Log file: C:\Program Files\StorageCraft\ShadowProtect\Logs\{7755C03F-9CB8-4107-975E-84D24BADEAFD}.txt

Start time: 10/10/2007 2:43:48 p.m.

Module: service

Code: 509

Looking in the log, this is the (apparently) relevant part:

2DA8
06-Oct-2007 02:00:00 service 100 service (build 40) started job by full trigger
06-Oct-2007 02:00:00 service 300 trial period has 6 days left
06-Oct-2007 02:00:00 service 104 machine information: 6AF8-DB7C 6E9A-DEB3 DEFAULT
06-Oct-2007 02:00:00 service 100 backup volume C:\ (NTFS)
06-Oct-2007 02:00:01 service 509 Cannot get access to destination object
06-Oct-2007 02:00:01 service 101 Cannot execute job (Access is denied. 0x80070005(2147942405))

What action needs to be taken here?

(NB: product now activated)

Comments

STC-Nate

Re: Windows Application Log, event ID 1121

From the log it appears that the backup job cannot access the target destination directory (access is denied).  I suggest that you double-check the credentials you assigned to that destination object and verify in the Destination Object Edit dialog that the destination object can be reached successfully. 

Ramjet99

Hi Nate,

I thought that might be the case but have not failed to make a connection manually, only with these scheduled jobs. Issue seems to be intermittment so issue maybe elsewhere, as connection running through iScsi whick looks like it maybe having some problems.

STC-Nate

You say it's "intermittent."  Can I safely assume then that the same backup job settings sometimes work, and at other times fail because they can't access the destination object?

Ramjet99

Yes, further investigations after my first post seemed to point to an issue early in the month where most servers failed. I believe that work done on the network since then has improved performance and stopped most of these timeouts/destination unreachable messages.

I am still going over these davices and analysing the logs from the SAN and SAN head device.

Being able to recover from a disaster remains a high priority for me as this site is undergoing extensive rebuild and migration of it's servers. We have successfully used ShadowProtect several times at this site already and been pleased with the results.

STC-Nate

Okay, keep up posted if you need further help.

huskertex

I've experienced this issue also. In our case it appears to be a limitation of Windows workstations which only allow 10 concurrent connections (we have a disk array hosted by a Windows 2000 Pro workstation. What I'm not clear on though is if ShadowProtect is failing to close the connection or if the OS is failing to do so. Some of the sessions to this workstation have been connected for several days for no apparent reason.

Ramjet99

Interesting, we're on a server 2003 so not limited in the same way but I will check the sessions anyway to see if there are any connections still open.

STC-Nate

Well, I can tell you that versions 3.x of ShadowProtect do not use any of the WNetAddConnection() calls, so as far as the ShadowProtectSvc.exe NT service is concerned, it neither creates nor destroys network connections.

Which version of ShadowProtect are you using?

Ramjet99

Server edition, 3.x (not onsite at the moment but no updates available from last week)

As mentioned, backups seem OK with odd issue from time to time but no biggie.