Secure Your Backups in a Customizable DR Cloud
What is StorageCraft Cloud Services, and who should use it?
With StorageCraft® Cloud Services™, you can store a copy of your encrypted StorageCraft ShadowProtect® or StorageCraft ShadowProtect SPX backup images in a cloud purpose-built for disaster recovery (DR).
Please note: Our cloud is available in North America and Australia. Visit Europe Cloud Services to be notified on progress in Europe.
When you do, you extend your recovery capabilities beyond your four walls—should your business experience a major local disaster, you’ll have the tools you need to quickly get running again. Recover data, even virtualize your machines and re-create your network in our DR cloud.
If you want to assure your organization’s disaster resistance, then StorageCraft Cloud Services is for you. Customize your cloud configuration to fit your unique needs and budget requirements.
As a StorageCraft Cloud user, you’ll enjoy:
- Low setup, management, and overhead costs
- Control over your own cloud settings and recoveries
- Predictable monthly pricing
StorageCraft Cloud Services is part of StorageCraft Recover-Ability™. This disaster recovery solution provides you with the products and services you need to recover systems, applications, and data every time, everywhere, and from any disaster, including site-wide or region-wide events.
Plan your recovery from a site-wide disaster
In a small disaster (the kicked power plug, a computer virus, faulty or aged equipment) your local ShadowProtect or SPX backups enable you to recover IT systems and data. But a major disaster can destroy local backup images. A business that doesn’t have copies of its backups stored offsite may never rebound from the downtime and data loss it faces during a major disaster.
StorageCraft Cloud Services stores your backups remotely so you’re prepared for the worst. Create your local backup images with ShadowProtect or SPX. Then replicate those backups offsite to the StorageCraft Cloud with StorageCraft ImageManager™ (6.7.4 or later). (You can even seed the cloud with your base backup image and any existing consolidated incremental images by replicating them to a physical StorageCraft seed drive and shipping it to us—this saves your network bandwidth.)
Manage your accounts in this DR cloud through an easy-to-use cloud portal. Our privacy and security measures ensure that only you can access your stored backup images—and that those backups remain safe no matter what. Should a local disaster strike, be confident you can get your data. Recover individual files and folders or instantly virtualize systems in the cloud (choose from our three Service Levels for the protection that meets your organization’s needs). We won't ever charge you extra fees at the time of recovery.
As soon as you’re ready, restore your system to replacement hardware onsite by using the StorageCraft Bare Metal Restore (BMR) process. Simply request a BMR drive, which contains your ShadowProtect or SPX backup images. The StorageCraft Recovery Environment will enable you to restore your full system from the BMR drive with minimal downtime. (If you choose Cloud Premium and run a virtual machine in the cloud during a disaster, you can automatically download any incremental backups created after your drive was created and shipped, which makes recovery even easier.)
Get the recovery points you need to meet your recovery point objectives.
Critical systems and non-critical systems need different levels of protection: a database server might have a different recovery point objective (RPO) than a workstation. To get the recovery points you need to protect each system, you can choose from one of three Retention Tiers.
Each Retention Tier lets you retain a certain number of consecutive consolidated daily, weekly, or monthly recovery points. Or, you can select our Flex option and customize your retention settings.
You can also create intra-daily recovery points, which are as current as the most recent backups sent to the cloud and verified. To make your on-demand intra-daily recovery point, all you have to do is click the "Generate Recovery Point" button on your cloud portal dashboard.
Uptime that keeps your business operational
Examples of when IT professionals use StorageCraft Cloud Services:
- Virtualizing a failed server or network instantly after a server room flood or building fire (requires Cloud Premium)
- Accessing files and folders fast from anywhere you have an Internet connection when a hurricane or other disaster shuts down offices (requires Cloud Plus)
- Storing important data offsite so it’s available via a shipped BMR drive regardless of what befalls the business
- Restoring systems and data to replacement hardware onsite using a BMR drive shipped from the StorageCraft data center
- Having an offsite backup copy that can be easily used in a disaster and that requires low setup, management, and overhead costs
- Enjoying cloud access with strong security, solid uptime record, and access controls
- Getting a mirrored data center without having to maintain it
- Having the option of choosing a different level of cloud protection for each machine in order to stay within budget and business continuity constraints
- Choosing how many recovery points you have available offsite so you can meet your RPOs and stay in budget
Features and benefits of StorageCraft Cloud Services
Security and Availability
Know that your offsite data backup is safe and always available inside our distributed, scalable, fault-tolerant cloud built specifically for disaster recovery
- Boasts a 99.99 percent uptime record
- Meets or exceeds Telecommunications Infrastructure Standards for data centers (TIA-942) as well as meets or exceeds Tier 3 requirements
- Is monitored and managed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year by the StorageCraft Network Operations Center (NOC)
- Was built using redundant firewalls and other enterprise-grade security and encryption models to ensure the most secure cloud hardware and software architecture possible
- Features client-configurable firewalls for every recovered network running in the StorageCraft cloud (requires Cloud Premium)
Service Levels, Retention Tiers, and Mirroring
Customize your cloud storage to fit your organization’s business continuity needs and budget, whether your IT environment is small and straightforward or large and complex
- Choose from three Service Levels, depending on whether you need instant network virtualization, immediate file and folder recovery, or just storage of critical data
- Choose from three Retention Tiers or our Flex option to get the consolidated daily, weekly, and monthly recovery points you need to fulfill retention requirements and recovery point objectives
- Mirror your backups to a second StorageCraft data center for added redundancy
- Configure Service Levels, Retention Tiers, and mirroring to be the same or different for each machine
- Increase your storage or upgrade your Service Level with ease
Control and Flexibility
Centrally manage and monitor all your StorageCraft Cloud Services accounts as well as fail over in a disaster without intervention from StorageCraft
- Replicate your encrypted and password-protected ShadowProtect or SPX backup images over a secure SSH internet connection—files stay encrypted, and only you have the encryption password
- Configure and customize firewall settings for your recovered networks running in the cloud (requires Cloud Premium)
- Customize account permissions and, if you choose, allow clients to access data files, reserve IP addresses, request seed drives, and do a host of other functions in the cloud
- Monitor used space, view backup arrival status, set backup retention policies, and configure alerts for events such as “seed drive arrival,” “upload activity,” or “explosive growth”
- Test your disaster recovery abilities using hands-on verification methods
- Access stored data and virtualize backups instantly—no need to wait for StorageCraft (failover requires Cloud Premium)
Advanced Network-Recovery Functions
Hit the ground running after a disaster with advanced networking features (available with Cloud Premium) that enable you to run your network in our cloud just as you’d run it onsite
- Access and update your recovery network through OpenVPN or IPsec to enable site-to-site, one-user, or organization-wide VPN connections
- Configure your recovery network to meet your unique needs with:
- Port forwarding
- Port blocking
- Network control options such as Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)
- Independent recovery networks
- Static public and private IP address reservations (for a nominal fee)
- Dynamic private IP addresses that are available at the time of a disaster
Want to learn more or get your hands on a printable document?
See our support documentation and marketing materials:
- Data Sheet – an overview complete with features and benefits
- Product Brief – a look at IT challenges and how this product helps you resolve them
- Seeding Quick Start Guide – instructions for how to seed the StorageCraft cloud
- BMR Quick Start Guide – steps to take to restore from a cloud BMR drive
- StorageCraft Cloud Services User Guide – the user manual—step-by-step instructions
- Legacy User Guide – the old user manual—step-by-step instructions
- StorageCraft Cloud Services ReadMe – a supplement to the user guide—system requirements, enhancements, issues
Cloud Service Levels
In addition, you can choose to have your data mirrored to a second data center. (Mirroring means that all backup images stored in the primary data center are also backed up at a second data center in a different geographic region).
Retention Tier 1
Retention Tier 2
Retention Tier 3
Retention Flex Option
Choose your own recovery point retention settings
Secure offsite storage of your critical business backups with full-system restore via a BMR drive
Mirrored for an additional fee
|Example: non-critical workstation||Example: non-critical server|
Everything in Cloud Basic plus immediate file and folder recovery (download from the cloud)
Mirrored for an additional fee
|Example: executive laptop|
Everything in Cloud + as well as instant virtualization of your systems and data in the cloud
Mirrored for an additional fee
Example: Exchange, file, or database server, or Active Directory
- daily = a recovery point generated from a consolidated daily backup image file
- weekly = a recovery point generated from a consolidated weekly backup image file
- monthly = a recovery point generated from a consolidated monthly backup image file
Note: You have seven days after setting the Service Level to make changes before it gets locked down. There is also a seven-day waiting period if you change Service Levels after the initial seven-day period, and Service Level changes go into effect at the beginning of the next month after the seven-day waiting period is over. Retention Tier can be changed at any time.
For additional features and limitations of each Service Level, see StorageCraft Cloud Services User Guide: Service Levels and Retention Tiers
Storage purchase methods
Choose your Service Level and Retention Tier for every backup you replicate to the StorageCraft Cloud to get the maximum value out of your budget and meet your recovery requirements.
- Managed service providers (MSPs) pay a monthly fee for each backup based on the Service Level and Retention Tier selected.
- Value added resellers (VARs) and other customers pre-purchase storage in blocks (similar to a gift card model) and use the block in the same manner as MSPs, determined by the monthly rate for each backup based on the Service Level and Retention Tier selected.
Click on an image for a larger view:
Cloud storage details
File and folder access, as well as full virtualization, in the StorageCraft Cloud can be near instantaneous if the data is stored with minimal compression. When a device is initially uploaded to the cloud, the amount of storage space used will be roughly the same as the amount used on the original volume.
The cloud space used will be larger than the space required by the locally compressed ShadowProtect or SPX image(s). As recovery points are sent to the StorageCraft Cloud, the storage space used in the cloud will be larger because of the additional cloud recovery points.
To reduce the amount of space used in the StorageCraft Cloud, users may leverage a separate retention policy independent of the local StorageCraft ImageManager retention policy.
Populating the cloud
Before populating the StorageCraft Cloud, you need to encrypt your ShadowProtect or SPX backups if you’re not already doing so. You can upload your backups to the cloud in two ways: stream directly or use our seeding service.
To ensure your seed drives are properly packaged for safe transit, we require the use of StorageCraft seed drives, which you can request for a nominal fee. You’ll receive up to four 2TB drives and a burly, hard-sided box with foam padding.
Please note that use of StorageCraft Cloud Services requires:
- ShadowProtect or SPX backup software
- StorageCraft ImageManager 6.7.4 or later
For a complete list of requirements, please visit StorageCraft Cloud Services User Guide: Cloud Requirements and Restrictions