- ShadowProtect SPX
- StorageCraft Cloud Services
- StorageCraft Granular Recovery for Exchange
- StorageCraft Recovery Environment
- Cloud Backup
- File Backup and Recovery
- Company Info
- How to Buy
ShadowProtect IT Edition Release Notes (ReadMe)
This file contains additional information to supplement the manual. Please read all the sections before you proceed with the product.
Covers up to ShadowProtect IT Edition v5.2.7
Table of Contents
- Known Issues
- System Requirements
- Installing ShadowProtect IT Edition
- Activating ShadowProtect IT Edition
- Upgrading ShadowProtect IT Edition
- General Usage Notes
Version 5.2.7 (May 2015)
- Added support for Windows 10 ADK.
- Added support for Windows Server 2016
Version 5.2.4 (January 2015)
- Fixes an issue where, in rare cases, a user could select an invalid incremental file to close an HSR job. This would result in an unusable volume and require a restart of the HSR job.
Version 5.2.2 (December 2014)
- Supports launching GRE from the IT Edition ISO when run on a booted "hot" Windows system. This allows using GRE on systems: without a USB connection or a VM running on a Type 1 hypervisor. This option is not supported in the IT Edition 3-day ISO.
- Fixed an issue where the IT Edition would default to using Czech in the UI when run hot on an unsuppoted language system (such as Norwegian). The IT Edition now defaults to English in those situations.
Version 5.2.0 (July 2014)
- Supports VHDX files.
- Supports NETGEAR® ReadyDATA® NAS systems..
- The ShadowProtect Mount wizard supports mounting VHDX files as Read-Only.
- The NETGEAR system can detect when a ShadowProtect Agent is offline and will also receive notification from ShadowProtect when backups are complete. This allows the NETGEAR to send email notifications with this information.
- ShadowProtect now supports a new set of retention policy settings for the NETGEAR target backup destination.
- The StorageCraft EULA opens on starting the IT edition and IT 3-day ISOs for the first time.
Version 5.1.3 (October 2013)
- Can operate as either the standard IT Edition or as the IT Edition PRO based on the type of license purchased. The PRO version includes ShadowProtect Granular Recovery for Exchange for use with Microsoft Exchange server backups and restores.
Version 5.1.2 (September 2013)
- Fixed various localization strings, including in Polish, with the Recovery Environment for Windows (REWIND).
- Fixed a bug that prevented REWIND from accessing SUBST drives and could also prevent taking hot backups on the same system using SUBST mounts.
Version 5.1.0 (August 2013)
- Uses single ShadowProtect UI shared with Recovery Environment for Windows v5.0.5.
- USB key Includes the Recovery Environment CrossPlatform (RE-X) v2.1.1 based on Linux. RE-X supports backup and restore from all supported Windows platforms.
- Incorporates dual-boot functionality to launch either REWIND or RE-X (after using the REBuilder tool v1.1.0 to create and install REWIND).
- Includes additional features once the IT Edition license is activated. (These include Hot Backups, Disk Copy, and Multi-volume Restores.)
Version 5.0.5 (July 2013)
- Updated to provide Recovery Environment v5.0.5 functionality, including support for GPT disks.
- Fixed issues where, on some isolated systems, hot backups, snapshot removal and verifications may not complete in all situations.
- Added support for Large Block Devices (LBD).
- Added support for UEFI systems.
Version 22.214.171.124 (January 2012)
- Fixed a bug that prevented the IT Edition Start Activate.exe in the Recovery Environment from operating correctly when you try to do anything 'cold'.
- Fixed an IOCTL error that prevented IT Edition from running correctly on computers using Symantec Volume Manager
Version 4.1.3 (October 2011)
- Fixed a bug that prevented IT Edition from running on computers using Symantec Volume Manager.
Version 4.1.2 (May 2011)
- ShadowProtectPE.exe has been fixed and will now run 'hot' on XPx86.
- Allow NTLM authentication to some older NAS devices.
Version 4.1.0 (March 2011)
- The system keyboard layout can now be changed within the booted Recovery Environment.
- Released for English, Japanese, French, German, and Portugal-Portuguese.
- Fixed a bug where repeatedly creating and then deleting the same partition might cause multiple volumes to be assigned to that partition.
Version 4.0.2 (October 12, 2010)
- The Recommended Recovery Environment is now based on a clean baseline WinPE build of Windows Server 2008R2, which has excellent default device support. No additional 3rd party drivers are auto-installed. Instead, all additional 3rd party storage/network/misc drivers (including drivers for various VMs) are found in the Additional_Drivers directory, and should be loaded manually, as needed, using the TOOLS -> LOAD DRIVERS menu item. In future builds, any changes to the contents of this Additional_Drivers directory will be noted in a ChangeLog.txt file contained within the Additional_Drivers directory. The purpose for using the clean baseline WinPE was to eliminate some driver conflicts which were occurring (where an injected 3rd party driver would incorrectly claim ownership of hardware it didn't actually support).
- The USB Update Wizard now updates all critical USB IT Edition files. However, it no longer updates the .ISO file found on the target USB drive. The .ISO file on the USB drive is not actually used by the USB drive when it is booted. The .ISO file is placed on the USB drive for convenience, to be used as the source for bootable CD-Rs, or directly for VM CD boot sessions. If you wish to update the .ISO file on the USB drive, you can copy the updated .ISO file from the Update package to your USB drive (overwriting the older .ISO file).
- When IT Edition is booted, the LOAD DRIVERS menu option is now enabled even if IT Edition is not yet licensed (in cases where it has not yet found the USB drive, or has not yet connected to a license server). This will enable users to load the necessary network drivers in order to connect to a license server, in cases where the drivers for their NIC aren't automatically loaded.
- Fixed an issue which caused IT Edition to fail to retrieve its license, which resulted in the error "license content does not match digital signature."
2. Known Issues
Version 5.2.2 (December 2014)
- When using GRE from the IT Edition ISO, there are some situations where GRE cannot automatically defragment the EDB. In these situations, run the ESEUTIL utility manually from the command line.
- The IT Edition requires at least 1GB of RAM. If the system has less than this amount, the IT Edition may fail to boot. Increase the amount of RAM as required to provide 1GB. If this is not an option, use the 32-bit version of the Recovery Environment.
Version 5.2.0 (July 2014)
- When running the ShadowProtect RE IT Edition "hot" (the system is already booted into Windows) on a Windows OS with an unsupported language, the UI will default to Czech rather than English.
Version 5.1.3 (October 2013)
- Current licenses of the standard IT Edition cannot upgrade to activate GRE. On the standard IT Edition key, GRE only operates in Trial mode.
Version 5.1.0 (August 2013)
- The IT Edition now uses the REBuilder tool to create the Recovery Environment for Windows. This REBuilder tool may display an error message and fail to generate the recovery environment if the user specifies paths to additional drivers which change before the REBuilder tool creates the recovery environment. (This could occur when using the REBuilder to generate another copy of the recovery environment some time after the initial one was generated.) To prevent this error, do not delete or move specified drivers until after the REBuilder completes the recovery environment creation.
- The IT Edition version of Recovery Environment for Windows, REWIND-IT, does not support double-byte characters. It does, however, support the backslash (\) character using the YEN key on Japanese keyboards.
- To use a Japanese keyboard in RE-X, follow the steps outlined in the Recovery Environment CrossPlatform User Guide.
- REWIND uses a standard 32-bit network driver by default. On some systems, this driver may not work with the installed network card. The network dialog progress bar may halt and the interface freeze. In those cases, determine the correct driver for the existing hardware. Include this driver in the Additional Drivers list in REBuilder.
- REWIND-IT may display an error message when opening the Boot Configuration Utility (BCU). This occurs when two or more GPT exist in the system. The informational message states that the disks have duplicate signatures. Click OK to close the error to continue using the BCU.
- The REBuilder tool may on rare occasions display an obscure error message when using an external USB CD/DVD burner connected to a USB 3 port. It will then fail to burn the disc. Use another device to perform this operation instead.
- The IT Edition 3-day ISO generated by REBuilder includes a license check. If the IT Edition license is expired, the software displays a notification. Also, the IT Edition functions in the Recovery Environment are disabled, but the remaining functions continue to operate. However, the software may continue to display the "License expired" notification prior to using these other functions, such as Backup or Restore, even though they work as normal. Simply close the notification dialog and complete the operation.
- The dual-boot capability requires the assigned volume name used on the IT Edition USB drive as shipped. Do not change this. Doing so prevents the dual boot option.
Version 5.0.5 (July 2013)
- The Disk Copy wizard may perform erratically if the user selects either Disk or Volume copy, navigates forward and then navigates back in the wizard.
- Some Disk Copy operations may fail when the destination disk is much larger than the source drive.
- Using Disk Copy on a Windows Vista or newer boot volume may result in the copy failing to boot. (Windows alters the copy's Disk Signature so it doesn't duplicate the original.) To fix this, install the copied drive into a new system and boot it using RE. Use the BCU to automatically repair the copied drive. Restart the system with the copied drive.
- Unzipping the IT Edition Upgrade package and writing the update to the IT Edition USB drive may take 10 minutes but it can take as much as 50 minutes to complete.
- Launching the IT Edition's ShadowProtect console (START_SHADOWPROTECT found on the ISO) on a live Windows system allows for taking "hot" backups. However, if the live system has ShadowProtect installed and the ShadowProtect console is open or the ShadowProtect shield appears in the System Tray, attempting to run the console on the ISO does not open the IT Edition's version of the console. Instead, it launches the local ShadowProtect console on the live system. If a hot backup is needed, use the existing ShadowProtect console.
- The Legacy (Windows 2003-based) Recovery Environment is only for use on old hardware (primarily NVIDIA chipsets).
- The Legacy environment has limited driver support so some network cards and disks may not appear in the Legacy ShadowProtect Console (UI).
- The Legacy environment has no option to load a driver after boot up. If this is a required feature, use the Recommended environment instead.
3. System Requirements
- Must meet the minimum operating system requirements
- Memory: At least 1GB of RAM
Note: If the system has less than 1GB of RAM, the IT Edition may fail to boot. Increase the amount of RAM as required to provide 1GB. If this is not an option, use the 32-bit version of the Recovery Environment..
- An available USB slot. If a USB slot is not available, either a CD/DVD drive is required or access to a CD .ISO file from within a VM.
- 3 1/4" diskette drive if using the Legacy Recovery Environment and need to load additional drivers.
Supported Operating Systems
ShadowProtect supports Windows 32-or 64-bit operating systems
- Windows 8
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows Small Business Server 2008
- Windows EBS Server 2008
- Windows Server 2003
- Windows Small Business Server 2003
- Windows 2000 Server/Advanced Server (SP4 or above)
- Windows Small Business Server 2000
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista Home Basic
- Windows Vista Home Premium
- Windows Vista Ultimate
- Windows Vista Enterprise
- Windows Vista Business
- Windows XP Media Center
- Windows XP Professional (SP2 or above)
- Windows XP Home (SP2 or above)
Supported File Systems/Disk types
ShadowProtect Editions support the following file systems:
- GPT Disks
- Dynamic Disks
Supported Storage Media
ShadowProtect supports the following storage media:
- Local disk drives
- Network drives
- Optical media such as CD/DVD/Blu-Ray
The REBuilder tool creates the IT Edition Recovery Environment for the USB key. This tool runs on a Windows 7 or newer system with an available USB port.
4. Installing ShadowProtect IT Edition
IT Edition is run from the USB key or from a CD/DVD. There is no install for ShadowProtect IT Edition. A mount driver might temporarily be installed if you are mounting image files while in the running operating system.
5. Activating ShadowProtect IT Edition
You need to activate ShadowProtect before the trial period ends or the quarter has expired. You need to continue to activate the product each quarter. If the autorun does not automatically start IT Edition, browse to the IT Edition USB key and click on Programs → SHADOWPROTECTPE → SHADOWPROTECTPE.EXE. You will be prompted to enter the product key you received when you purchased your ShadowProtect IT Edition subscription. Once you have entered the product key correctly, click Activate. If your subscription has expired, you will be notified and will no longer be able to use ShadowProtect IT Edition until you renew your license.
ShadowProtect IT Edition Licensing
ShadowProtect IT Edition is licensed per technician. You can use the software on as many servers, desktops and laptops as you wish for the period of your subscription.
6. Upgrading ShadowProtect IT Edition
WARNING: NEVER DELETE OR OVERWRITE the storageCraft.id FILE ON YOUR IT EDITION USB KEY. This renders the drive useless. Follow these instructions to avoid this error.
Current users of ShadowProtect IT Edition 5.0.5 do not need to upgrade using the REBuilder. Users of IT Edition 4.1.3 or earlier should upgrade to RE-Windows IT Edition 5.2.0 with the updated REBuilder.
Note: This upgrade does not install the Recovery Environment CrossPlatform.
7. General Usage Notes
The ShadowProtect IT Edition USB or CD/DVD contains the StorageCraft Recovery Environment - Windows which is used as a boot disk for restoring a backup image to the system volume. Be sure to store the USB key or CD/DVD in a safe place for use in the event that a bare metal recovery of your computer is required.
You should test the StorageCraft Recovery Environment to ensure that it runs properly on your computer. To do this, boot the StorageCraft Recovery Environment from the ShadowProtect IT Edition USB key or CD/DVD.
If the StorageCraft Recovery Environment boots and runs as expected, then you will be prepared to perform ShadowProtect operations from the Recovery Environment in the event the system does not boot or you need to restore a system volume from a backup image file or you wish to create cold state backup images using the Recovery Environment.
If the StorageCraft Recovery Environment does not boot or run as expected, investigate the following issues:
- The system you are booting the recovery environment from must be configured to boot from the USB or CD/DVD device.
- Try both the Recommended and Legacy boot options. There are different drivers in the Legacy boot mode.
- You do not have the necessary network interface card (NIC) drivers to access the network. Download the appropriate 32-bit drivers from the card's manufacturer website. Contact StorageCraft Technical Support by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org so that these necessary NIC drivers can be included in subsequent builds of ShadowProtect IT Edition.
- You do not have the necessary storage drivers to access a storage device on the computer. Again, locate these drivers on the manufacturer's website, then contact StorageCraft Technical Support to report these drivers.
- If you find that the Recovery Environment lacks certain drivers, you can load these storage drivers during boot time. In the Legacy environment, the system prompt's you to press F6 during the boot process to add storage drivers. You will then be prompted to load the driver(s) from a diskette. (Legacy does not support loading drivers from a USB drive or from CD.) The storage drivers must be in the textsetup.oem format for loading into the Legacy Recovery Environment. If you have booted the Recommended (Vista) Recovery Environment, you can dynamically load the required storage drivers by providing the directory where the drivers are located. The driver files for the Recommended Recovery Environment must be Vista or later compatible drivers in the .inf and .sys format.
- It is a good idea to keep all necessary storage drivers not included with the IT Edition on a diskette (for Legacy) or on a USB drive or CD (for Recommended) that is available in the event you need to boot the ShadowProtect USB or CD/DVD to run the Recovery Environment.
© Copyright 2014 StorageCraft Technology Corporation. All rights reserved. This Software and Documentation are copyrighted. Ownership of the ShadowProtect IT Edition Software is reserved to StorageCraft Technology Corporation. StorageCraft, the StorageCraft logo and the ShadowProtect IT Edition logos are trademarks of StorageCraft Technology Corporation. ShadowProtect IT Edition is a trademark of StorageCraft Technology Corporation in the United States and elsewhere. All other brands and product names are or may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.