- ShadowProtect SPX
- StorageCraft Cloud Services
- StorageCraft Granular Recovery for Exchange
- StorageCraft Recovery Environment
- Cloud Backup
- File Backup and Recovery
- Company Info
- How to Buy
StorageCraft GRE Release Notes (ReadMe)
This file contains additional information to supplement the manual.
Granular Recovery for Exchange (GRE)
Last updated: February 7, 2017
Table of Contents
Update Information by Product Version
StorageCraft GRE 8.1.3
StorageCraft GRE 8.1
StorageCraft GRE 8.0
StorageCraft GRE 8.1.3
- Fixed an issue where messages in multiple "root" folders under a single mailbox in the EDB weren't being properly shown.
- Fixed an issue were a MAPI call was generating a MAPI_E_INVALID_PARAMETER error.
- Fixed an issue where GRE crashes during enumeration.
- Fixed an issue where the GRE IT Edition gave a meaningless error if Outlook wasn't installed on the system.
StorageCraft GRE 8.1
- Added support for Exchange 2016.
- Added support for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
- Added a new Status History window.
- Fixed an error where some sub folders would not show up in the source view.
- Fixed an error with restoring messages with the “Overwrite the target message (slowest)” option enabled. This is now working correctly.
- Changed terminology in user interface and user guide to reduce confusion. Migration is now called "Import From" in GRE.
- Fixed an issue where gre_main.exe would crash when opening certain EDB files.
- IMPORTANT: Your GRE license isn't maintained when you update from GRE 8.0 to 8.1. MAKE SURE to keep a copy of your GRE license.
- New installations of Exchange 2016 have the option to use ReFS. ShadowProtect doesn't yet support ReFS. If you want to use ShadowProtect to backup Exchange 2016 data you need to install Exchange 2016 with NTFS. If you want to use ShadowProtect GRE your Exchange 2016 needs to be using NTFS. If you have StorageCraft GRE you can still work with the EDB files if Exchange 2016 is using ReFS.
StorageCraft GRE 8.0
- Exchange 2013 support added.
- Exchange 2003 as a Source support added. See Known Issues for Outlook 2003 installation restrictions.
- Improved error reporting.
- Better handling of log file path history.
- Ability to run multiple instances of GRE. This allows the simultaneous opening of EDB files from multiple versions of Exchange.
- Improved language localization.
- New ability to restore "shift-deleted" messages and folders for Exchange 2003 and 2007.
- Optimized memory management.
Enhanced search functionality
- Match All Fields
- Match Any Field
- Restore Limits: Control the maximum number of simultaneous restores and exports to avoid overloading the I/O, processor, etc.
- Temporary database settings location: Select alternative temporary database locations to ensure adequate available disk space.
Support for drag and drop restoration/migration
- Single mailbox or entire EDB
- mailboxes (Automatically creates new user and mailbox for migration. If the user or mailbox already exists, the migrations fails.)
- sent items
ShadowProtect IT Edition Pro
- GRE can be started from ShadowProtect IT Pro. GRE requires several Microsoft Exchange Server database management files which must be manually copied to the ShadowProtect IT Pro USB stick from your licensed and installed Exchange Server folder. These files ensure the Exchange EDB files are not corrupt prior to use. See Configuring GRE for additional details.
GRE is supported in the following languages:
- German (Deutsch)
- Portuguese (for both Brazil and Portugal)
- Simplified Chinese
- Traditional Chinese
- GRE currently displays a maximum of 300 emails per search. This limit helps prevent overloading system resources. It also helps maintain GRE responsiveness. Engineering improvements will allow StorageCraft to remove this limit in the next version of GRE.
- Important: StorageCraft strongly recommends disabling "Full Text Search Indexing" in Microsoft Exchange when migrating large EDBs. This prevents network errors during migration.
- If the GRE client loses connection with the Exchange Server during a restore it will try to reestablish communication for up to 3 hours before reporting an error.
- Non-user mailboxes (e.g. public folders, room mailboxes, equipment mailboxes) may be migrated when migrating Exchange 2013 databases.
- The Exchange Server certificate must be added as a Trusted Root Certificate. This may be done by accessing a mailbox on the Exchange Server via Outlook and importing the Exchange Server certificate.
- If either of the following error messages appears during a restore/migration: "Folder limit exceeded during restore" or "Error creating folder", see the Microsoft Technet article Maximum open folder objects per logon has been changed for a resolution.
- If 'Unknown Error' messages appear during installation, reboot the computer and restart the installation.
- The GRE Temporary Database Location (see Settings) requires a minimum drive free space equal to the size of the combined databases.
- Installation restrictions. GRE will not install on a system where Outlook 2003 is installed. Even though Exchange 2003 can now be used as a source, Outlook 2007 SP3 or newer must be used to meet the client MAPI requirements.
- When a GRE user (without Exchange admin permissions) uses MAPI to authenticate to a single mailbox on an Exchange server, then later attempts to connect to all mailboxes on the same Exchange server, the user won’t be able to expand the mailboxes or view folders. To view the folders for All Mailboxes, restart GRE and don’t authenticate to a single mailbox on the Exchange server.
- If the ShadowProtect mounted image connection is lost while an EDB file from that image is open in GRE, the GUI may lock up and require a restart.
- When adding new licenses to GRE, the new license will not take effect until the EDB file is reopened.
- If the EDB file is in the root folder of the ShadowProtect mounted backup image, the GRE_ERR_FAILEDTOGETEDBDETAILS error appears when the volume is mounted as a drive letter. This can be resolved by unmounting the volume as a drive letter and remounting it as a folder.
- For a mixed Exchange Server environment (2013 with non 2013 Exchange Servers within the same domain):
- To open all mailboxes on an Exchange 2013 Server, the Administrative or Service Admin mailbox must be located on an Exchange 2013 Server.
- To open all mailboxes on non Exchange 2013 Servers, the Administrative or Service Admin mailbox must be located on a non Exchange 2013 Server.
Copyright © 2016 StorageCraft Technology Corp. All rights reserved. This Software and Documentation are copyrighted. Ownership of the ShadowProtect Granular Recovery for Exchange (GRE) Software is reserved to StorageCraft Technology Corporation. StorageCraft, the StorageCraft logo and ShadowProtect Granular Recovery for Exchange (GRE) logo are trademarks of StorageCraft Technology Corporation. StorageCraft, ShadowProtect, ShadowControl, and HeadStart Restore are registered trademarks of StorageCraft Technology Corporation in the United States and elsewhere. ShadowProtect Server Edition, intelligentFTP, and ShadowStream are trademarks of StorageCraft Technology Corporation in the United States and elsewhere. All other brands and product names are or may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.